Tax Tip of the Week

April 23, 2018

Who Should File a Tax Return?

Everyone’s situation is different when dealing with taxes. It may come as a surprise, but not everyone has to file taxes. Commonly, if your total income for the year doesn’t surpass the standard deduction plus one exemption and you aren’t a dependent to another taxpayer, then you don’t need to file a federal tax return. However, you should always consult with an accountant first; you could be eligible for a refund and not know it. In most cases, the source of your income, the amount of your income, your filing status, and your age determine whether you must file a tax return.

Here are a few additional things to consider when determining whether you should file a tax return:

  1. If you purchased health insurance through the Health Marketplace, you might be eligible for tax credit. You will need to file a return to claim this credit.
  2. If your employer withheld federal income tax, if you made estimated tax payments, or overpaid last year and had it applied to this year’s tax return you could be due for a refund. But you will have to file a tax return in order to acquire that money.
  3. If you earned less than $53,505 last year you could be entitled to a refund up to $6,269. If you qualify, file a tax return to claim it.
  4. If you have a child that qualifies for the Child Tax Credit and did not receive the full credit amount, you may meet the requirements for the Additional Child Tax Credit.
  5. If you or your dependent has been a student enrolled at least half-time for at least one academic period, you may be eligible for the American Opportunity Credit. You must complete Form 8863 and file a return to claim that credit.

Finding the right accountant to assist with filing your taxes is the first step to a possible refund.  Roland Roos & Company, Fresno CPA, wants to help you with the refund process and assist in earning you the highest refund possible. We are a full service CPA firm offering accounting, tax, and business consulting solutions.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at 559-226-2209 if you have any questions or concerns about preparing your 2017 tax return. In addition, if you would like to schedule an appointment, either call us or email us at Alternatively, you can schedule an appointment by submitting an online form through our website at

Hope you find this helpful and we look forward to serving you.


Any financial or tax information contained in this article is taken from a general view and should not be acted upon in your specific circumstances without further details and analysis of the situation or professional assistance from a CPA or tax return preparer.

We have created this forum to help provide you with solutions to issues that come up in the accounting profession.  If you have any accounting or tax questions you would like us to discuss in detail in a future week, feel free to leave comments in the forums! 

“Roland is a sterling CPA!

You will love working with him, he truly cares about you and your family and he is a top-notch tax planner. If you are looking to work with the very best, you will love working together with Roland!”
— Ernest Oriente